The Lingua Portuguesa Professional Development Program is open to secondary and community college Spanish* language instructors interested in incorporating Portuguese language and culture into their school and district curricula.
This competitive program brings together a cohort of up to ten language instructors to study Portuguese language and culture, with a focus on language pedagogy, for two academic years. The objective of the program is to expand Portuguese language programs in secondary and community college education. Course meetings will take place virtually. Course content will be developed under the supervision and oversight of the Stanford Language Center (SLC) Portuguese Program Director and taught by an SLC lecturer. Participants will develop innovative curricular materials and programs to implement in their classrooms and at their home campuses.
CLAS is accepting a limited number of applicants who wish to join for the second yearof the 2019-2020 Lingua Portuguesa program. Applicants must already speak Portuguese at the intermediate level.
Applicants must be secondary education or community college Spanish* language instructors who have an intermediate-level proficienty in the Portuguese language.
*Instructors of other romance languages may be considered.
Scope of Participation
- Participants attend real-time virtual classes from late September 2020 to May 2021, including monthly Stanford World Language Project seminars, and work collaboratively with their cohort to develop their language and pedagogy skills.
- Participants develop one course plan or unit plan.
- Participants present their plans to their school, to their district, or in a regional training.
- 2020 applicants will join the second year of the 2019-2021 program and will participate for one academic year.
- The 2020-2021 course begins the last week of September 2020.
- Program fee includes
- semi-monthly virtual classes
- monthly virtual seminars with the SWLP Seminars for World Language Teachers
- small-group conversation practice with Portuguese speakers
- 5 continuing education units through Stanford Continuing Studies
$900 for the 2020-2021 three-quarter program
Continuing Education Units
5 quarter units (50 hours of class) through Stanford Continuing Studies
Application Deadline: September 8, 2020
- Applicants submit an online application form, including a CV and statement of purpose (300-500 words).
- Applicants will be notified of the status of their application by September 14, 2020.
Tom Winterbottom is a lecturer for the Stanford Language Center. He currently teaches a range of courses in the Spanish language program and has also taught the first-year sequence in the Portuguese language program. Additionally, he is a lecturer in the Iberian and Latin American Cultures Department, offering courses on Brazilian literature, cinema, and society. He is the author of A Cultural History of Rio de Janeiro after 1889 (2016) and of several articles on Lusophone culture and language. He first studied Portuguese as an Instituto Camões language fellow in Lisbon and spent time living, studying, and traveling in Brazil for his undergraduate and graduate degrees, instilling a passion for the language that he loves to share with others. Read more.
Please contact Molly Aufdermauer, CLAS Public Engagement Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-721-5530.