Admissions Information for All Applicants
The online application for 2020-2021 Academic Year will be avaialble in September 2019.
**New for the 2020-2021 academic year application: The GRE general test scores are optional, and no longer a requirement. Please see below for more information regarding application materials.
Deadline for the 2020-2021 academic year is Tuesday, December 3, 2019 . Deadline to submit Online MA application including a 2-3 page double-spaced statement of purpose, resumé or CV, 10-15 page double-spaced academic writing sample in English, official transcripts , TOEFL scores (see below), and three letters of recommendation.
- TBC: Deadline for FLAS Fellowship Graduate Application 2020-2021. More information available here.
Please do not contact us to inquire about your application status. We will contact you if any part of the application is incomplete. Admissions decisions are sent out each year in March.
Stanford University accepts only online applications to graduate programs. If you are not a current Stanford undergraduate student, please visit the Graduate Admissions website to access the online application. (Current Stanford undergrads only: access the Coterm Online Application here. The deadline for coterm applications is December 3, 2019)
Applicants must meet the University admission requirements, have a working knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese at the university third-year level, and have experience working, living, or studying in Latin America or Iberia prior to admission.
CLAS takes a broad approach to evaluating applications for admission. As important as grades are the applicant's essay, letters of recommendation, and the experiences and goals conveyed through the statement of purpose and curriculum vitae.
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program awards full funding to pursue a graduate education at Stanford to students from all disciplines, with additional opportunities for leadership training and collaboration across fields.
Apply to Knight-Hennessy Scholars by October 9, 2019, and to the Latin American Studies MA Program by November 13, 2019. Late applications for the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program will not be considered.
Required Applications Materials
1)Statement of Purpose: 2-3 page double-spaced
2) Resumé or curriculum vitae
3) Academic writing sample in English: 10-15 page double-spaced
4) Three letters of recommendation
5) Official transcripts - two copies of each (co-term applicants should submit unofficial Stanford transcripts). NOTE: Unofficial transcript copies can be scanned and submitted with the application as a placeholder. Once official transcripts are received, they will be matched to your application.
New for the 2020-2021 academic year application: The GRE general test scores are optional, and no longer a requirement
Stanford is no longer accepting paper supplementary materials. Applicants are expected to upload scanned copies of all their materials, including unofficial copies of transcripts, to their online application (click here for more details).
Official hard copies of transcripts are also required, and should be mailed directly to:
GRE & TOEFL Test Scores
- The GRE general test scores are optional, and no longer a requirement.
- Applicants who completed their undergraduate degrees in a non-English speaking environment must submit TOEFL scores as stipulated by Stanford Graduate Admissions.