Admissions Information for All Applicants
The online application for 2020-2021 Academic Year will be avaialble in September 2019.
**New for the 2020-2021 academic year application: The GRE general test scores are optional, and no longer a requirement. Please see below for more information regarding application materials.
Application Deadline for the 2020-2021 academic year is Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 11:59pm PST. Deadline to submit Online MA application including a 2-3 page double-spaced statement of purpose, resumé or CV, 10-15 page double-spaced academic writing sample in English, and information of the 3 references that will be providing letters of recommendation.
- Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020: Deadline for CLAS to receive supplemental materials such as official transcripts, GRE (optional) and/or TOEFL scores, and letters of recommendation.
- Thursday, Feb 13, 2020: Deadline for FLAS Fellowship Graduate Application 2020-2021. More information available here.
Frequently Asked Questions? Click here
Please do not contact us to inquire about your application status. We will contact you if any part of the application is incomplete. Admissions decisions are sent out each year in March.
Stanford University accepts only online applications to graduate programs. If you are not a current Stanford undergraduate student, please visit the Graduate Admissions website to access the online application. (Current Stanford undergrads only: access the Coterm Online Application here. The deadline for coterm applications is December 3, 2019)
Applicants must meet the University admission requirements, have a working knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese at the university third-year level, and have experience working, living, or studying in Latin America or Iberia prior to admission.
CLAS takes a broad approach to evaluating applications for admission. As important as grades are the applicant's essay, letters of recommendation, and the experiences and goals conveyed through the statement of purpose and curriculum vitae.
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program awards full funding to pursue a graduate education at Stanford to students from all disciplines, with additional opportunities for leadership training and collaboration across fields.
Apply to Knight-Hennessy Scholars by October 9, 2019, and to the Latin American Studies MA Program by November 13, 2019. Late applications for the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program will not be considered.
Required Applications Materials
1)Statement of Purpose: 2-3 page double-spaced.
The Statement of Purpose should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the Latin American Studies MA program at Stanford, your preparation for this field of study, research interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
2) Resumé or curriculum vitae
3) Academic writing sample in English: 10-15 page double-spaced.
The sample should be an academic essay (i.e. a final term paper, a chapter from an undergraduate thesis, undergraduate capstone paper, a paper submitted for publishing, etc.) and the content does not need to be related to Latin America. Applicants who no longer have access to materials from their undergraduate career, will need to write one that meets the application requirement.
4) Three letters of recommendation. CLAS strongly reccomends that at least two of the letters of reccomendation be from professors who can speak about your academic strenghts.
5) Official transcripts - two copies of each (co-term applicants should submit unofficial Stanford transcripts). NOTE: Unofficial transcript copies can be scanned and submitted with the application as a placeholder. Once official transcripts are received, they will be matched to your application. Please visit the Graduate Admissions Transcripts webpage for further details.
New for the 2020-2021 academic year application: The GRE general test scores are optional, and no longer a requirement
Stanford is no longer accepting paper supplementary materials. Applicants are expected to upload scanned copies of all their materials, including unofficial copies of transcripts, to their online application (click here for more details).
Official hard copies of transcripts are also required, and should be mailed directly to:
GRE & TOEFL Test Scores
- The GRE general test scores are optional, and no longer a requirement.
- Applicants who completed their undergraduate degrees in a non-English speaking environment must submit TOEFL scores as stipulated by Stanford Graduate Admissions.
Frequently Asked Questions? Click here
For further information:
Contact Perla Miranda, CLAS Academic and Student Services at 650-725-0383 or email@example.com