Conference Travel Grants
The Center for Latin American Studies invites proposals for Stanford graduate students to attend and present on topics related to Latin America at academic conferences. CLAS will distribute travel grants of up to $500 for approved proposals.
- Cover sheet must include: name, SUNet ID, Student ID Number, email, department, conference name and location, dates of conference, and amount requested.
- Brief proposal narrative including your presentation title and abstract, and how attending the conference would inform your research interests and/or academic career.
- Complete itemized budget ( i.e. conference registration fees, airfare, lodging, local transportation)
- Graduate transcripts
- Letter of acceptance to conference. NOTE: If your conference acceptance is still pending at the time of your application submission, then include a copy of your conference proposal submission, or any type of documentation demonstrating that you have submitted a proposal to present. If selected for an award, a copy of the letter of acceptance will be required before funds are disbursed.
- Letter of recommendation from your advisor
Please submit a complete application and materials via the online form available
Advisors must submit their letter of recommendation via the online form available
Upload Letter of Recommendation Here
For conferences taking place October 2021-February 2022, submit application and materials by Mon., Nov 15, 2021. The letters of recommendation should be received by this date as well.
For conferences taking place March-August 2022, submit application and materials by Thurs., Feb 10, 2022. The letters of recommendation should be received by this date as well.
CLAS will aim to send notifications 4-5 weeks after the deadline.
Awardees are expected to:
- Submit a one-page report of the conference presentation ready to be posted in our website AND a complete budget report within 30 days after the completion of their travel.
- Be ready to give a presentation on research findings, if requested by CLAS.