Stanford Libraries Access Grants
The Center for Latin American Studies and Stanford University Libraries offer library access grants for faculty from qualified U.S. minority serving institutions (MSIs) and community colleges to conduct research relating to Latin America using Stanford University Libraries. The Stanford University Library System is one of the largest academic and research libraries in North America, and the Latin American collection is one of the most comprehensive in the country.
Upcoming Grant Period and Access Type
The 2023 Stanford Libraries Access Grants provide remote access to Stanford Libraries' online database from April 3 to August 14, 2023, with an optional 1- week visit to Stanford campus scheduled during the grant period. Non-local fellows participating in an optional 1-week visit are eligible for a $1000 travel stipend. An orientation to using the Stanford Libraries online database is provided.
- Ph.D. from an accredited U.S. institution (M.A. or equivalent for community college faculty)
- Current faculty appointment at a community college or MSI (minority serving institution as designated by the U.S. Department of Education)
- Research and teaching interest in Latin America
The application deadline for this grant period has passed. Applications for the 2023-24 academic year program will open in late spring.
The online application includes the following:
- STATEMENT OF INTEREST (300-500 words), which should address the following:
- Topic of research relating to Latin America
- Plan of materials that will be consulted
- Description of how your research will enhance your curriculum and impact your students
- CURRENT CV
- BUDGET (optional; non-local fellows) Proposed travel costs to be covered by the stipend
- LETTER OF SUPPORT from department chair (uploaded separately)
A committee comprised of CLAS and Stanford Libraries faculty and academic staff review the applications.
Within 14 days following the completion of the access period, grantees are required to submit to CLAS a report detailing the work carried out during the grant period. Reports are provided to the U.S. Department of Education for grant reporting purposes. Upon completion of the final report, grantees receive the $500 stipend.
- Non-local fellows participating in an optional 1-week visit to Stanford campus are eligible for a $1000 travel stipend.
- 80% of grant funds will be awarded at the start of the grant period. The remaining 20% will be awarded upon submission of the grant report.
- Funds may ONLY be used for airfare, lodging, and/or ground transportation.
Please contact Molly Aufdermauer, CLAS Public Engagement Coordinator, at clasoutreach [at] stanford.edu or 650-721-5530.
Saddleback College, Anthropology
Western New Mexico University, Social Sciences and Cultural Sciences
California State University, Department of History
San Lorenzo High School, Spanish Language
N. Carolina Bloem
Salt Lake Community College, Department of Languages
Howard University, World Languages and Cultures
Berkeley City College, Social Sciences Department
Foothill College, Language Arts Division
California State University, Fresno, Chicano and Latin American Studies and History Departments
Cañada College, English Department
Alejandro Wolbert Pérez
Berkeley City College, Ethnic Studies
CLAS is a U.S. Department of Education National Resource Center (NRC). Supported by the U.S. Department of Education under the auspices of Title VI, Section 602(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, NRCs serve to strengthen access to and training in the major languages of their respective regions, and to broaden area studies training across all disciplines.